Friday, August 15, 2008

Allergies got the best of me

Broke down, went to the doctor.

Of course they do the usual, the nusre weighs you, checks temp, blood pressure and pulse. Then ask why you're there. Jots down notes and says the doctor will be with you in a few minutes.

After about 15 mins or so the doctor walks in, nice young man, we've had him for our family doctor now for at least 15 years, he'll be 50 this coming Oct.

He asked me my problem, I told him, nose, throat eyes, sneezing, coughing some, and achy cheek bones. He looks, in the nose and throad, then listens to my chest and heart. Says it sure seems like allergies to him also.

He said this time of year is a good time for him, he makes a lot of money. LOL He said he himself came into work on Monday morning, first patient a gentleman, and he said I started sneezing and couldn't seem to stop, so he said he left the examing room and went into his private office and sneezed for what seemed like 10 mins, then he went back to the examing room. The gentleman said, perhaps it's me, I've been out working in the hayfield all morning. So even doctors have allergies.

He ordered a prednisone shot, a prescription nose spray with prednisone to use two puffs in each nostril in the mornings, take one 10mg of Zyrtec in the morning and two-25mg of Bendaryl at night. If that doesn't take care of it in a week, come back and he'll send me to an allergist.

That I don't want. Been there and done that. I use to take three shots a week, two in one arm and one in the other and they were for mixtures of grass and weeds, one for mixture of tree pollens, one for mixture of mold and dust. After I had my first lumpectomy they started giving me all three shots in one arm, but I no longer had to take them once a week, I was finally down to taking them every three weeks.

When my allergist retired, I never did care for the man that took over, and one day when I asked him how much longer he thought I would have to be taking these shots, he seemed to get a little hostile. Said I would have to be retested, and I was, this time on my arm and it showed I was still allergic to everything as before, just not as bad. At that time for my blood pressure I was taking Inderal 120 mg-long lasting, and he claimed the people he was associated with thought Inderal caused coughing in some patients and if I didn't go off of that drug and my doctor find something else than he could no longer see me. I thought right, you a** you just didn't like me questioning you. So as soon as I got home I called my family doctor and told him, found out this was the first he had ever heard of it, so I told him, I would use the new vaccines they were sending to his office, and then I was going to stop them and see if I could get by without the shots.

He said we could try that, and if it didn't work he would find me a new allergist, or if I was only bothered more in the Spring and Fall he could give me something. I know it isn't quite Fall yet, but I think that ragweed is blooming early this year. LOL They say the first good frost usually kills it off, but in my case since I'm also allergic to mold, then we have all the corn shocks and leaves dying and molding. Sometimes you jsut can't win.

I know the first time I went to the allergist, the one I liked, they did the testing on my back, they went out for a few minutes till it had time to work, had all these dots on my back from where they drop certain things and then stick or scratch them so the spot of allergen can work if you're allergic to it. When he came back in he said oh my goodness, we can certainly see yours, why haven't you come in before this. I said, because I didn't have insurance to cover this until now I just suffered it out. He just laughed

Now aren't you happy to hear about all of my allergy problems. Hope everyone has a great week-end and hope your weather has been as nice as ours. I know where Merle lives, she's having Winter right now, so I hope her winter is a mild one.


Tricia said...

I'm sorry to hear about your allergies; they really can drag you down. Wishing you a wonderful weekend.

Anonymous said...

You should have gone to the doctor sooner. At least you got something for it and you only had the allergies before you went.

Brookville Daily Photo

Tomate Farcie said...

Well, you make us laugh and forget our problems every day, so the least we can do is lend a shoulder now and then :)

I don't like the part with the hostile doctor. Dealing with doctors with an attitude is most, most unpleasant! It's a good thing you have a family doctor you like, at least you can always run things by him and see what he says.

That Benadryl is going to knock you like a bay tonight. Take care yourself, Mrs. Lincoln.

Tomate Farcie said...

Here you go, to make you forget the doctors' visit.

A doctor was having an affair with his nurse. Shortly afterward, she told him that she was pregnant. Not wanting his wife to know, he gave the nurse a sum of money and asked her to go to Italy and have the baby there.

"But how will I let you know the baby is born?" she asked.

He replied, "Just send me a postcard and write "spaghetti" on the back. I'll take care of expenses." Not knowing what else to do, the nurse took the money and flew to Italy.

Six months went by, and then one day the doctor's wife called him at the office and said, "Dear, you received a very strange postcard in the mail today from Europe, and I don't understand what it means."

The doctor said, "Just wait until I get home and I will explain it to you."

Later that evening the doctor came home, read the postcard, and fell to the floor with a heart attack. Paramedics rushed him to the hospital emergency room. The head medic stayed back to comfort the wife. He asked what trauma had precipitated the cardiac arrest.

So the wife picked up the card and read: "Spaghetti, Spaghetti, Spaghetti, Spaghetti - Two with sausage and meatballs; two without."

Renie Burghardt said...

Oh, you poor thing! I feel for you, Patty. My best friend, Eileen has the same problem. She is wheezing, coughing, blowing her nose, sneezing, etc. constantly, but refuses to go to the doctor. She takes over the counter medications for some relief. Now me, I have never been allergic to anything-knock on wood!

Hope the medicine has helped and you feel a lot better, Patty.

Have a good night.

Love and Prayers,


babooshka said...

I have been whinging because I have a double ear infection for a week now. I'll stick with the ears after reading your troubles.

Just wanted to say I thought Abe was talented, but after doing some blog hopping around your family, it seems your'e all very talented.

Merle said...

Dear Patty ~~ I am glad you finally got some medications which I hope will help you a lot. There is no need for doctors to be unpleasant ~ we pay for their advice and help and rudeness is unacceptable. I enjoyed the post when things were so much cheaper. I remember saying Petrol (gas) will never get to $1 a gallon, now it's well over $1 for a litre. I think there are 4 litres to a gallon.
Take great care, Patty and i Will be thinking of you. You don't need more testing if you have had it twice. Love, Merle.

Chica said...

Ooh wow, I would hate to have allergies like yours. I'm only allergic to one type of medicine, that's about it.

Hope your having a great weekend so far. :)

Nancy said...

Allergies can be really serious. Sorry that you're having quite a time with yours. Thank God, I never really had any trouble that way. I hope the meds give you some relief. Will they get better once you have the first frost? My kids had allergies every Spring and every Fall, but after that first frost, theirs always cleared right up. Hope yours do!

Hope you're having a nice weekend!
As usual, I am behind in my blog reading but trying to get caugfht up over the weekend.

(((((( HUGS ))))))

Zyrtec Side Effects said...

My name is Susan Ward and i would like to show you my personal experience with Zyrtec.

I am 30 years old. Have been on Zyrtec for 3 months now. I thought I was dying! It must be cancer or some disease. I felt that bad. I exercise 6 days a week and I know my body very well. I new something wasn't right but never thought it would be an allergy pill to blame. Within three months these symptoms hit hard. I tracked it back to the day I started taking this medication. The side effects didn't hit me right away. I was just happy to be able to breathe. So I'm assuming the clinical trials for this drug were not long enough to witness these types of side effects. I'd rather deal with the allergies than these side effects. Glad to know others feel the same. I'm not just going crazy.

I have experienced some of these side effects -
Major fatigue, gained 13 lbs in 3 month period very unusaul for me). wild mood swings, major depression, loss of short term memory. Stop taking the pill and fill almost back to normal.

I hope this information will be useful to others,
Susan Ward