Sunday, December 14, 2008

Update on Abe

Well Abe was feeling some better today. When I got there he was taking a sponge bath and I finished helping him. They had stripped his bed of the dirty sheets and everything, so after his bath was done and he had on a new clean gown and pajama bottoms, I went ahead and made up his bed. That gave me something to do. I thought this way if he got tired from sitting he could always get back into the clean bed. The nurse and the aide seemed happy that I helped. I think they may have been short handed with it being Sunday.

Had lunch with him, a guest can buy a tray for $5.00 which really is cheaper than going to their cafeteria. We visited for a while longer and then I came home. It was rainy and misty all day. Of course I missed the thoracic surgeon. He came in before I got there. And then I left around 2 pm and of course the lung doctor stopped in about five minutes after I left. So I missed him also.

The surgeon said he wants to do the least invasive procedure, which would be to do nothing. Or they can try blowing more of that talc into the chest tube, or they can make several small incisions and go in and take a look at the lung and make sure the talc covers it completely. Anyone of the things they talked about does NOT guarantee that it won’t happen again. It could happen again in a couple of weeks, or it could happen in a year or it may not happen again. At first Abe thought he might just come home and forget about the whole thing if it could happen again even with the surgery. I told him to talk to the lung doctor and ask him what he would do if it were him. Lung doctor said he would do the surgery. Even if they don’t staple the blebs, at least the lung could be covered better with that procedure. The surgeon said by stapling the blebs, since there are so many, it would diminish his lung capacity. So I said perhaps they could just coat it and leave the blebs alone.

So as of this evening, Abe is considering doing the surgery with the two or four small incisions. It would probably take place either Tuesday or Wednesday. I talked to him this morning early, then when I got home from visiting him, plus I just talked to him about fifteen minutes ago.

Of course they are talking about an ice storm hitting us Tuesday, so we will have to wait and see. Our weather men like most always seem to jump the gun and then when we least expect it, we get a huge storm.

That’s it for tonight. Hope everyone had a wonderful week-end.


Renie Burghardt said...

Poor Abe! And poor Patty! My thoughts and prayers will continue for Abe and you.

We are to get an ice storm sometime overnight, but it's still 57 degrees out there now,with moths flying around. So we will see. I'm hoping we won't, of course.

Take good care and get lots of rest, Patty.

Love and prayers,


Betsy said...

Hope you both rest well tonight! And I hope the ice stays away!

Pat - An Arkansas Stamper said...

Thank you for the update, Mrs. L. You can be sure that Abe (and you) are in our thoughts and prayers.

It's around 60 degrees here in Arkansas right now. A severe cold front is due to move through in the middle of the night and "wintry-mix", sleet and freezing rain are in our forecast for tomorrow night and Tuesday. Yech!

Rottlady of the Ozarks said...

My thought and prayers are with you both.

Our temps dropped here over 40 degrees in less than one hour. They say the ice is going to hit us around midnight.

Good luck and hopefully we will all still have power in the morning.

Nancy said...

So nice that you got to have lunch with him! I'm sure he feels better just knowing you are there. You must be exhausted though. That going back and forth can do a person in. I did it for 13 straight weeks with my mom, and I was tired out. And poor Abe...he's got to go through yet another procedure. I do hope and pray that this will take care of his problem. I did read your daughter's blog earlier....looks like I was a day behind. I will try and check in every day with both your blog and your daughter's. You take care of yourself now, too! You've gpt a lot of people praying for you both!
Love to you both!

(((((( HUGS ))))))

Reader Wil said...

I understand that the situation is very critical. My thoughts are with you and your family. I'll pray for you, my dear friends. We've know each other for several years now and I feel very sorry for you!

Rinkly Rimes said...

It must be hard for you not knowing exactly what is going t take place. But you seem to have a lot of willing helpers. (But I hear the ice storm DID hit!)

Mental P Mama said...

Oh I am sending you both my very best. Take care of yourself. Blessings.

Twisted Fencepost said...

Thanks for the update, Patty.
I'll keep praying for you both.
I'm hoping the ice goes away soon!

nituscorner said...

Am sorry to hear about Abe again....i was a little busy so was not able to update myself....well i hope he is recovering and would be back home soon.My thoughts and prayers are with you and your whole family.take care Patty.