Saturday, July 17, 2010

These sound about right LOL!

Life B.C. (Before Computers)...

An application was for employment
A program was a TV show
A cursor used profanity
A keyboard was a piano!

Memory was something that you lost with age
A CD was a bank account
And if you had a 3 1/2 inch floppy
You hoped nobody found out!

Compress was something you did to garbage
Not something you did to a file
And if you unzipped anything in public
You'd be in jail for awhile!

Log on was adding wood to a fire
Hard drive was a long trip on the road
A mouse pad was where a mouse lived
And a backup happened to your commode!

Cut - you did with a pocket knife
Paste you did with glue
A web was a spider's home
And a virus was the flu!

I guess I'll stick to my pad and paper
And the memory in my head
I hear nobody's been killed in a computer crash
But when it happens they wish they were dead!

9 comments:

Shantanu said...

That is so true and thoughtful of you Petty.
I would like to add to this:

Window is used to be something
for ventilation and to look out,

Now windows are something,
you use to look across the continents.

Winifred said...

That was so funny Patty and so true.

As Shantanu says windows were things you looked out of. That reminded me of the time I went on a visit to a collge IT centre and the chap was very proud telling us they were the first college to have Windows. I didn't dare say anything but I kept on wondering was I mad or was he. Didn't all buildings have windows? About a year later all became clear when I discovered it was a computer operating system. Just shows IT people shouldn't assume we have a clue what they're talking about.

Clytie said...

Ack! so true!

Heidrun Khokhar, KleinsteMotte said...

Right on Pat! Surf, wave and many more words have new ad ons.

Merle said...

Dear Patty~~ How things have changed
and how the computer age has altered
how we speak of things. Very true.
I loved the Rose Garden too.
Thank you for your comments and also concern for my painful leg. I was OK sitting down, but when I stood up the pain was not pleasant. Today has been much better, thankfully and I sure have taken it easy over the weekend Glad you enjoyed the jokes and the story of Lucky the dog.Take care dear friend, Love, Merle.

Twisted Fencepost said...

Guess this also explains why the English language is so hard to learn. One word can have several meanings.

The Mulligan Family said...

Oh, that's awesome! Love it. Hope you are having a good weekend. I've been lazing about not doing much of anything! The perfect kind of day!

Cheers, Cindy

Margaret Cloud said...

I enjoyed this very much, makes a lot of sense. The computer has changed our way of thinking or is it the computer does our thinking?

Beth Niquette said...

What a clever clever poem! And so very true!