Wednesday, December 11, 2013

The Threat

As a fellow policeman and I were eating lunch in a cafe, we heard a woman nearby say loudly, "Jimmy, if you don't eat all your peas, I'll have those policemen come over and talk to you."

My friend promptly walked over to the five-year-old who was being scolded.

"Jimmy," he said, just as loudly, "I'm six-foot-two and weigh 200 pounds. And I never ate a pea in my life." As we left, the other patrons were laughing,

Jimmy's mother was absolutely silent, and a smiling Jimmy was no longer afraid of policemen.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Good for the policeman. I cringe when I hear a parent scolding a child for stupid things. Have a happy day.

Heidrun Khokhar, KleinsteMotte said...

Parenting will remain a challenge. Kids can be so very different and totally go in the opposite direction which may harm them. Solutions do not come easily and patience is at times hard to find but most useful.